THOUGHTS ON TENNIS

                                                                 


I'm watching Lance play tennis right now.
Even when my head is down,
or I'm looking at someone else,
when Lance says something.
 out there on the courts?
I know it.
I know his voice.
It's deeper than it used to be.
He sounds like a man.
Still my little Lance though.
Still my sweet baby.
Lots of young men out on these tennis courts today.
Lots of different voices.
Only one Lance.
Only one voice that I recognize.
Whether it's his frustrated voice,
An excited voice,
A tired voice.
It doesn't matter.
I know him.
And I'm pretty sure he knows mine as well.
Not that I say much at these matches.
Best to keep my mouth shut.
An occasional head nod will do.
An "I see you, Lance".
He nods back.
He sees me too.
He knows his dad and I are for him.
He knows we love him.
Win or lose.
He knows this tennis thing does not define him.
Does not make him any more or less loved by us.
We do think winning is more fun.
But when the sun sets tonight?
We will love him all the same.
Oh Jesus, help him know you love him even more than we do.
That you "see him" right now.
That you think he is just as cute as his momma does.
Seriously though.
You made him.
Thank you God.
For making him.
Each kid here?
Fearfully and wonderfully made.
And each parent sitting here?
Also fearfully and wonderfully made.
Help each of us to know this.
To trust this.
And thank you for tennis too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homesick

The Touch Tree

You've Got This, Kid.