Homesick

Ahhh...  Quincy (my precious nephew that I babysit) is napping, kids have finished school, dishwasher is running... I have a free minute!

I'm thinking that since I have stumbled upon Ann's blog aholyexperience.com,  I have somehow been intimidated by her beautiful writing and my brain has been in a fog when it comes to blogging.  Realizing just how completely ridiculous (and sinful!) it is to even compare myself with her... I am back... just being who God has made me to be :).

Things are going well with my parents.  I will have to post some pictures when I get another minute... their bedroom is just a little slice of 1123 Schultz St... it's perfect for them.

I have to tell you though, that my Dad keeps saying he wants to "go home"....  When we start to respond, he says "I know, you are going to tell me I live here now, but I still want to go home".  It is really hard for me to hear that and not take it personally... and to know that it isn't going to get any better for him... at least as far as his memory goes.

I want to add in here that my Dad is really having a blast with our kids.  He and Lance play ball in the living room all the time. He still LOVES to laugh at everything, sing silly songs, and tease Bailey and Zoe.  He just longs to "go home" sometimes.

This morning I was praying about it when these questions came to me... Is it really so bad to want to go home?  And... Where exactly is home?

I know Dad is talking about "Defiance", but I also know that I can somehow relate.

I am not home yet.

Philippians 1:23-24  I am hard presssed between the two. My desired is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better for me. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.

Funny how sometimes I just forget that I am not home yet.  I get way too comfortable here... I don't long to be at home with Christ.

I decided this morning that when Dad talks about going home, I am going to point him to JESUS!  I am going to remind him of where is REAL HOME IS.  I will  also remind him that, along with me, he ISN'T home yet...  but, together, we can look forward to the day when Our Savior will indeed call us home.

Until then, I am reminded by the Apostle Paul in verse 22 -- If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me.  


Until then, there is much work to be done, many prayers to be prayed, songs to be sung, people to be reached... and the list could go on and on...  Quincy just woke up :)


May our days be filled with the knowledge that "we aren't home yet"....

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ah, but your writing is beautiful too. It is a reflection of who you are, and you are a reflection of Christ. What could be more beautiful, my friend?
--JW
Karen Shock said…
Thanks JW :) You have no idea how much that means!
Gail said…
My parents are "Home." I miss them so much. It's just three of us now in our family. My son passed his uni degree this weekend and I so wanted to tell my parents. So we took flowers to their resting place.Just wanted to share that somehow from a broken heart.
Enjoy your parents and your family Karen.
Love, Gail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-A1u-Zfal8
Nate Long said…
Amen
ARad said…
Karen, don't ever stop writing. That really touched me today. I miss your family so much and I need a glimpse into your heart every once in awhile! Love you all!
ARad
brianandcourt said…
So glad you're back. Keep writing. :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Touch Tree

His Grace is ENOUGH for me!