The Leveraged Life

Heroes... seems like they are hard to come by today.

Over the years I have asked God to bring older women into my life that can mentor me and "show me how to walk out my faith".

He has been so good to do just that... always at just the right time.

Let me tell you, I can sometimes feel like a misfit in the whole "christian woman" category.
Seems like God has gifted me in ways that just don't seem to fit the mold.

It can make me feel crazy.

Enter into the picture... Shelley Giglio.
   
Seriously, she is a woman after my own heart.

It all started when God began to reveal Himself to our family in huge ways through her husband.
Somehow, in the midst of e-mailing back and forth with Louie... Kevin and I met Shelley.

When we meet her,  we realized quickly that she is so very normal... and yet her faith in God is so very extraordinary.

I have learned so much from her. 
I keep telling her she needs to write a book.
The last time I said that, she told me that I should write it.
Ok... now that's hilarious.
Nope. 
I can't write a book... it won't happen.
I maybe can write a blog though :)...

Let me just share with you a couple of things (see, I can't write a book.  I just used the word "things"). that Shelley has taught me along the way.

A few months ago, Kevin and I had lunch with her.
  
That morning, I had read through 2 Timothy... The letter that Paul wrote to young Timothy.
Later that night, when we got back to the hotel room, I felt like I was supposed to read through 2 Timothy again.  

Can I tell you?  As we had sat at lunch with her that day... no bible out on the table,  just talking about our lives, our dreams, our families, my fears :)... Shelley ministered to us in a way that lined up so perfectly with the letter that Paul had written to Timothy. 

It is so hard to explain... but Kevin and I both walked away feeling encouraged, exhorted,  a little admonished :), most of all loved.  Probably the way Timothy felt when he read Paul's letter.

One piece of wisdom that she shared with us was that we need to simply follow God.  We can't be listening to other people's opinions all of the time.  We are responsible to Him and Him alone.  She reminded us that on judgement day, when we are standing in front of Him,  He isn't going to look at anyone else and ask his/her opinion on how we did. 

When it comes to people's opinions... she told us that the people who are criticizing are usually the people who are doing nothing.  It's easier to criticize and do nothing than to do something and be criticized.

How true is that???

Shelley has also taught me about the leveraged life.
Not balanced ... leveraged
Everything I am... for Christ.
That sounds crazy in this "must get your life in order and be balanced" world that we live in.

I LOVE IT!

Paul said it to Timothy this way... 

For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  2 Tim. 4:6,7

How I long for my life to be leveraged... all that I am poured out for the sake of Jesus Christ.

One more thing...

As we sat at lunch that day, I began to tell her about some big dreams I had for She Has A Name.  In her very sweet way, she looked at Kevin and basically told him to keep me grounded :)... in the moment.

She told me that I need to keep my God given dreams alive, but at the same time... do what needs to be done today with excellence.
Oh how that ministered to my heart.  I can be so focused on the big stuff I want God to do "someday" that I forget to live "today" for Him.

There is so much more to say.  
However, this is NOT a book... it's a blog :).

This I know for sure... Shelley and Louie are the real deal. God shines brightly in and through both of them.  

I am forever grateful for how God has used them to bring us closer to Him.

I know that she hates to be in the spotlight... but God has granted us the privilege of learning from her by having her speak a couple of months ago at Passion City Church.

You can watch the talk here...



Your faith will be stretched and you will be encouraged for sure.





Comments

Amy said…
I have learned so much through her through you! Thank you Shelley & Karen for leveraging your lives for what truly matters!
Amen!! Impossible to express all the ways God has used the Giglio's in our lives. Amazing people following--and pointing all that they are--to a HUGE, indescribable God! Thanks for sharing all this Karen =) You preach it to us (and yourself) all the time... it's high time you put into blog form. Praying more and more people are spurred on and blessed and encouraged and challenged!!! Love you Karen and Louie and Shelley!!!!!! Praying for the DOME!

Popular posts from this blog

Homesick

The Touch Tree

His Grace is ENOUGH for me!