Information Overload

Technology. Non-Stop. Bombardment.
Which one? What's right?  What's going on?
When will the information to my brain stop?
Or at least... slow down?

I don't want to sound old, but man... we are living in some crazy times.

Remember the day when we had one exercise video to choose from?
Jane Fonda?

Today?  Take your pick... PX90, Insanity, 30 Day Shred, Yoga, Pilates etc.

Remember when it was meat & potatoes and canned cream corn for supper?  Oh, and with a side salad made up of iceberg lettuce, carrots and celery?

Now?  I am not even sure what to buy at the store.  I just saw an article the other day listing the 10 foods that can kill us -- potatoes, apples and canned tomatoes were on the list!  What in the world?

Just when you think you are safe by staying away from the processed foods... now you better beware of the pesticides.  Ugh!  We can't all move to the farm!  [Side note... this post is NOT intended to start an "organic food" debate :)].

How about how to raise the perfect child?  Oh, the endless books and information out there now.  Enough to make a young mother go crazy!

Back in the "old days" (can you believe I am saying that?)... we had Dr. Spock and Dr. Dobson. That was about it.

In this day and age?  Parents are made to feel horrible if their baby does not sleep through the night by the time he/she is 3 months old.

We used to celebrate when it finally DID happen and not worry that we were doing something "wrong" if it didn't.

Here is what I am saying...
We live in crazy times.
Nothing is certain.
Everything keeps changing.

But this I know for sure...
Jesus is still the same.  He never changes.  The same yesterday, today and forever.

In The Pursuit of God (my very favorite book),  A.W. Tozer speaks about how we can't SEE GOD anymore because we are too busy focusing on what is right in front of our eyes.  And... oh do we have so much in front of our eyes!

He says we are in desperate need of learning how to flex our spiritual muscles -- learning to SEE GOD, TASTE GOD, HEAR GOD...  instead of just being bombarded with the here and now.

We have 18 days left until Christmas.
Instead of immersing myself in the hustle and bustle...
I am planning.
Yes, planning :)... to spend time in my bedroom.
Quiet.
On my knees before God.
Asking Him to reveal Himself to me.
Asking Him to be more REAL to me than all of this other temporary "stuff" that is blurring my view.

I don't think God hates technology.  I am pretty sure He actually enjoys seeing His creation discover all the stuff He has made.

I just think He doesn't want technology to overtake us... to rule our hearts and minds... to get in the way of truly SEEING HIM.


Nor does He want us to think that we don't need HIM anymore because we have this life figured out.

Technology.
Food.
Exercise.
All beautiful things.
But,
Without God... absolutely meaningless.

Praying that you and I will SEE HIM more clearly than ever this Christmas season.






Comments

Marla Taviano said…
Amen, girl! Love you!
Anonymous said…
This are some great thoughts. I will have to read that book.

Popular posts from this blog

Homesick

The Touch Tree

His Grace is ENOUGH for me!