Where is our hope?

This Morning I had Fox News on while I was getting ready for work.
They had on country singer Darryl Worley singing his song "Sounds Like
Life to Me".
As I was listening to the words (I must say it has a catchy tune!), I
was thinking how at age 39, I can relate:


Sarah’s old car’s about to fall apart
And the washer quit last week
We had to put momma in the nursing home
And the baby’s cutting teeth
I didn’t get much work this week
And I got bills to pay
I said I know this ain’t what you wanna hear
But it’s what I’m gonna say

But... then came the chorus:

Sounds like life to me it ain’t no fantasy
It’s just a common case of everyday reality
Man I know it’s tough but you gotta suck it up
To hear you talk you’re caught up in some tragedy
It sounds like life to me
Here is the second Chorus :

Sounds like life to me plain old destiny
Yeah the only thing for certain is uncertainty
You gotta hold on tight just enjoy the ride
Get used to all this unpredictability
Sounds like life

I understand what he is saying, but I have to ask...
WHERE IS THE HOPE???
Seems like the hope is just simply the fact that everyone else
is going through it too... the old "misery loves company"!
As I was listening, I just became aware of how THANKFUL I am that
because of Jesus Christ, I HAVE HOPE!
My hope is not in this life... it is in the next!

I love Paul's outlook on life when he writes to Timothy in 2 Tim. 4: 6-8..
For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.

I so pray that we could live lives that aren't the "Normal American Christian" lives, centered on ourselves and our own families. I want us to be focused on, and put our hope in eternity!
I want our children to live lives that are sold out for Christ! He is their only Hope!


I understand now just how much life can hurt, but that is all the more reason to fix our eyes on Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith. I want to look out, look upward, and look forward to what is to come!

May we be a people who truly understand that the lives we live here on earth do matter -- and how we spend our lives, and most importantly WHO we put our Hope in here on earth will determine the way in which we spend eternity!

May we encourage each other to be "poured out like a drink offering"!

Comments

Andrea said…
So GOOD! Karen, I love your blog, why did you not start one years ago!?! Keep them coming :)
Karen Shock said…
Thanks for the encouragement Andrea! And thanks for helping me get this thing up and running. I still have so many questions for you... you are such a pro at this whole thing!

Popular posts from this blog

Homesick

The Touch Tree

Celebrating Today