Comforted Today

I realize I am doing a whole lot of blogging.  I'm just finding that this is a way to keep my sanity through this all. It is also a great way to keep a record of all that is happening...  how God is working in and through so many of you as you love on and support our family!

Today was much easier than yesterday.  Met with the hospice nurse and social worker this morning. They were so kind and caring to both me and Mom. Dad pretty much just slept through the whole thing :).

That's been most of today for him... sleeping.

He has woken up a couple of times.  One time was to fight with Andrew... fist fight!  It was so cute.  Drew would tap him on the arm and he would punch Drew back.  Dad has always been the one to rile the little ones up.  Now I guess it's Drew's turn to pick the fight :).

I have to tell you, one of the coolest parts of having Dad here at the house is that he really is never alone. For the last two days Drew has had his computer in here for a couple of hrs... just hanging with my dad! I believe that even though Dad is sleeping, he can feel our presence in the room.

Our pastor stopped by this afternoon and simply ministered to my mom, drew and me. We discussed Heaven and what it will be like.  I LOVE WHAT HE SAID.  Yes... Dad will get to see his family and friends that went on before him... and that will be awesome.  But... more importantly, he will be in the very presence of God!

Sometimes I think we stop short of the amazingness (is that a word?) of Heaven by just thinking about the lack of pain, or the loved ones we will see.  Don't get me wrong, I will be thrilled to see my Dad on the other side!  However, how crazy is it that we will not only see the ones we love, but we will forever be in the midst of the ONE who created our loved ones?!  I can't get my head around this.  I want to learn more about it for sure.

There is definitely a part of me that wants to not have to go through with this whole process of my dad dying.  We've all known for a long time it was coming, but it is so hard.

Then I look at what God's word says about death and I want to just slow down... and learn... and grow... and turn my eyes upon Jesus in this journey with my dad.

Ecc. 7:2  It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart.

How is this verse possible?  Isn't it much better to be planning a wedding than sitting down with the funeral director?  According to this verse, it is good for our family to be going through this right now.  Even through the tears there is so much to learn.  Just the realization that this life is so very temporary. Our lives are just a blip on the radar.  It just goes by fast.  

And... oh how I want to be the person who doesn't look only to this life for my satisfaction... or even just to the fun we are going to have in Heaven.     Nope... I want to look to the ONE who is my satisfaction right now... in this time of mourning, and will be my eternal joy as we all live in the very presence of our Savior Jesus Christ for all of eternity!  

One more precious moment that happened today.  At one point I was standing over Dad, waking him up.  He opened his eyes, looked right at me and whispered "You're beautiful".  How sweet is that?  Nothing like being told by your daddy that your are beautiful!  A moment I won't soon forget!

Dad is sleeping. Mom is taking a nap. I'm gonna go in and watch some tv with the fam. 

Hoping to post some old pictures tomorrow... we've found some great ones!

Just know... you're prayers are seriously holding us up!  Our God is faithful... and answers prayers!

Comments

Unknown said…
Your daddy's right. You ARE beautiful. Praying for you all. xoxoxo
Linda Patterson said…
Thanks for your encouraging words, beautiful they are!

Popular posts from this blog

Homesick

The Touch Tree

Celebrating Today