Sunday With Dad




Sundays growing up used to mean church, Mom's pot roast, and then watching the Detroit Lions.  I have to admit my favorite part of the whole NFL football thing was snuggling up with my daddy and taking a Sunday afternoon nap... using his big belly as my pillow.  Those were the days!

Today, Dad did see the end of the Lions football game... they won! Yay Detroit.  Not sure he knew what was going on or that he really cared, but his eye was definitely on the t.v.  Is it appropriate on a day like today to thank God for a Lions victory?

He came home yesterday via ambulance.  So weird to have them dropping him off instead of picking him up...surreal actually.

Most of the day he seemed pretty out of it.  But, we sure did have a good time singing to him.  All of us girls (Christen, Alyssa, Alayna, Amy, Mom and me) sing "I've Been Working On the Railroad", "Because He Lives", "How Great is Our God", Shoo Fly Pie"... I know, quite the variety right?  Once again, there was much laughter and tears (depending of course on the song)... and some beautiful harmony!

The hospice nurse came to get him registered.  She was very nice and answered a ton of questions.  At the end of our time together she said she thought Dad probably has days to weeks left with us... but was also quick to say that only God knows the day.  We will trust Him in this.

We were a little caught off guard at first by all of our responsibilities in this.  All the medications and the catheter/Depends changing.  I have to tell you though, it hasn't been as terrible as I first thought.  I love this man... and it is the least I can do for him!

Ok... so here is the funny part.  Later last night, we realized that his hearing aid battery was dead.  Normally he would be with it enough to tell us, but that wasn't the case yesterday.

Needless to say, after I changed that battery he became like a new man :)!  He was interacting much more and even singing the songs with us.  We all had milkshakes from Steak & Shake to celebrate!

He slept great last night.  So did Mom.  It was hard for me to sleep, just thinking about getting up to do his meds every 4 hours.  I think tonight will be much easier... just knowing it wasn't so bad last night.

Kevin's parents came over to hang out with Dad and Mom while our family went to our church gathering this morning.  We were so blessed by the sermon, the music, and most importantly our friends.
I am still  pretty blown away by the love and support we are receiving from so many of you.
Love hearing that you all are reading these blogs and the Orvisms Group on Facebook.  How cool is it for our family to know that we are not on this journey alone?!

I'm having a hard time knowing how to talk about Dad... as far as the "dying" part goes.  See!  I don't even know how to say it on here.  I was trying to talk about it with a friend today and ended up saying "passes".  I told my friend I have no idea how to say it.  I asked her if she thought "kicks the bucket" would be more appropriate... trying to have a little comic relief in it all.  My friend laughed... my kids were mortified... even in a time like this, I am the most embarrassing mom ever.  I will probably have to delete this paragraph on account of inappropriateness.

Let me just say, not a one of us are taking this lightly!  We all love our Orvie so very much.  I can't imagine living another forty years without seeing his big blue eyes, without holding his tan weathered hand, without sitting on his lap and singing with him.

But, we have today... and for today we will celebrate this precious gift.

Thank you God for every minute we have with him.  You have been more than gracious to us in giving us such a precious father, husband, grandfather, and friend.  We love you more Jesus, because of him. I praise you for who YOU are and who you've made my dad to be!




What's so funny Orv?

Comments

Linda Patterson/sandlpatterson@verizon.net said…
Thanks for the updates, Karen. I'm coming here daily to "visit". So wish I could be there. Give your dad my love today.
God's Blessings!
Linda Patterson
Unknown said…
Thanks for sharing your journey with your daddy. Praying for sweet peace for all of you.

Popular posts from this blog

Homesick

The Touch Tree

His Grace is ENOUGH for me!