A Tribute... Laura Whitson

I know the Titus 2 women are supposed to be older, but this next mentor of mine falls into "younger, but wiser" category!

When I met Laura, she was newly married, no children, living in a new city, and her husband Ryan had just become the youth pastor at
our church.

She was only in D-town for about a year... God knew that was all I needed to learn some valuable lessons on being a wife, being humble, but most importantly, Laura exuded an unshakable and unashamed FAITH in God!

I remember us sitting in McDonalds and pulling out our bibles. She had me pick a Psalm and we just prayed through it... read a verse, pray, read a verse, pray... it was uncomfortable at first, but I've loved it ever since!

She also had me make a "Top 10 List"... a list of 10 prayers that I wanted God to answer, but seemed impossible at the time... like my father-in-law being saved (happened June of 2003). That "Top 10 List" was Amazing! I prayed everyday and watched as God either answered my prayer outright or changed My heart about the situation!

That year was a tough one for the Whitsons. Just recently, Kev and I were going through a rough time and a veteran pastor told us "until you walk with a limp, it is hard for God to use you". Ryan and Laura have definitely had their share of struggles, but God has SO used them in SO many lives! I think of the students they had in their youth group that year... Josh, Kacee, Ashley etc... they would all agree that Ryan and Laura layed a solid foundation for their faith in just that one year!

We have stayed in touch over the years, and Laura continues to point me to God through her life! In the last few months they have faced what I am sure has been the hardest season of their lives -- Please take time to read their story at http://emilyjeanstory.blogspot.com. You will be Blessed!

In the midst of all of it, they have continued to SHINE A HUGE SPOTLIGHT on our God!

Thank you Laura for being such an amazing influence in my life!

Comments

Anonymous said…
This post was sooooooooo good!! And I went to their blog and cried my eyes out. Emily was and is so precious. So thankful for their testimony and how is shouts aloud to God's faithfulness and His glory. He is being glorified in this situation and I am praying for their continued healing and for those who do not know Christ to come to Him through sweet Emily's life. I was reading in the psalms today and prayed a psalm for them-in honor of all that Laura taught you-and the word is the best thing to pray for them....

psalm 21.7... for the Whitson's trust in the Lord and through the loving kindness of the Most High they will not be shaken....

Lots and love and prayers too you Karen!! You are a titus 2 woman yourself!! Thanks for pouring into my life:))

love ,
Stephanie
Karen Shock said…
Thanks Steph! Oh and I will say that I have had several people tell me just how impacted they have been by Emily's story... I am so thankful that the Whitson's have shared Emily with all of us. Praying for them right along with you!

Popular posts from this blog

Homesick

The Touch Tree

Celebrating Today