In The Dark Nights

The other night, in order to fight my anxious thoughts, I went through my iPod and made a new playlist.

I found songs that have been my favorites throughout these past several years.

I named the playlist "Karen's sleep", intending for it to help me fall asleep at night.

Turns out, I don't just listen to it in the midnight hour when sleep evades, I like it in the daytime too.

All of these songs point me to Jesus and bring peace to my soul.

As the songs play, memories flood my mind.  Each song reminds me of the past... times when God seemed near, and times when it was just a downright hard night of the soul.

It's really like a trip down memory lane -- The good times and the bad.

One thing rings true as I listen to these songs... My God has shown Himself faithful through all of it!

I maybe couldn't see His faithfulness in the moment... but looking back, I can see that He has given me grace for every trial... and has loved me... and has held me up... even when I couldn't feel Him near.

This week, I am realizing that I'm in another one of those difficult times. It's a time of sadness mixed with anxiety. I'm told it probably has a whole lot to do with the death my my daddy.

I'm also realizing that listening to and singing these songs helps me to know that He who has been faithful and brought me through the darkness before, is in fact sustaining me now in the midst of the pain.

In 2 Chronicles 20:1-23 there is an account of God's people going into battle.

They were afraid... going up against three very strong armies.
The battle was indeed more than they could handle.

Jehoshaphat, bowed his head with his face to the ground... and all of the people of Judah fell down before the Lord, worshipping the Lord. (vs. 18)

I love it!  In the midst of terrifying times, they fell on their knees and worshipped their God!

Then something crazy happened.

Jehoshaphat appointed those who were to sing to the Lord and praise him in holy attire, as they went before the army, and say,
                  "Give thanks to the Lord,
                        for his steadfast love endures forever."  (Vs.21)

Wait God... You want them to do what?  Send out a choir to sing IN FRONT of their army in battle?  Who wants to volunteer to be in that choir?

So... what happened next????

As they began to sing and praise, the LORD sent an ambush against the armies they were up against.  Their enemies got confused and ended up turning against themselves and destroying each other.

God's people did not even have to fight.  God fought that battle for them!

How important is worship to God?
Psalm 22:3 says that our God inhabits the praises of his people.
Praise invites God's presence.

As we sing to Him and worship Him, even in the dark hours, He comes in our midst.

I have seen this time and again through these past years.

In times when I have been hurting or scared...
And I've wanted to turn toward something besides God...
I have learned that nothing besides Jesus satisfies!

As I've turned my face toward Jesus...
And worshipped Him for who He is...
In spite of the circumstances...

He has always made a way.
Always!

This song is on my playlist.
It pretty much sums up this post today.

(Don't forget to pause the music on bottom of this page first)






May we know this reality today....
That if we have Jesus,
We never walk alone!

Can I share the playlist with you?
You might want to make your own with some of these songs....

Karen's Sleep:

All Is Well --  Kathy Triccoli
All My Hope -- Hillsong Live
All The Way My Savior Leads Me -- Chris Tomlin
All To Us -- Chris Tomlin
Already All I Need -- Christy Nockels
Always -- Hillsong
Ancient Words -- Michael W. Smith
Arise and Be Comforted -- Watermark
Be Loved -- Christy Nockels
Be Still and Know -- Christy Nockels
Brave To Believe -- Donna Stuart
Breathe -- Christy Nockels
Breathing The Breath -- Matt Redman
Captivate Us -- Watermark
Cielo -- Phil Wickham
Come home Running -- Chris Tomlin
Cornerstone -- Hillsong Live
Deliver Me -- David Crowder Band
Did You Feel the Mountains Tremble? -- Jesus Culture
Draw Me Closer -- Hillsong
Enough -- Chris Tomlin
Everything -- Tim Hughes
Facedown -- Matt Redman
Faithful -- Chris Tomlin
Father's Song -- Matt Redman
Fearfully and Wonderfully Made -- Matt Redman
God of Our Yesterdays -- Matt Redman
A Grateful People/Bless the Lord -- Watermark
A Greater Song -- Matt Redman
Help Me to Find You -- Todd Fields
Here I Am to Worship -- Passion Band
Hold Me While I Sleep -- Kathy Triccoli
Holy Spirit (Live) -- Jesus Culture
Hope of the World -- Hillsong Live
I Give You My Heart -- Michael W. Smith
I Lift My Hands -- Chris Tomlin
I Surrender -- Hillsong Live
I Will Overcome -- Charlie Hall
If You Know You're Loved -- Matt Redman
Knees to the Earth -- Watermark
Never Once -- Matt Redman
Pursuit -- Hillsong Live
The Purest Place (Live) -- Watermark
Sweep Me Away -- Charlie Hall
Take All Of Me (Live) -- Hillsong
Worthy of Affection -- Shane and Shane
Yes and Amen -- Matt Redman
You Never Let Go -- Matt Redman





Comments

Unknown said…

Karen, thanks again for sharing. When I read the bit about the army, I got goosebumps. I don't pursue chills, but I have to share when it happens.

Popular posts from this blog

Homesick

The Touch Tree

His Grace is ENOUGH for me!