To Honor Our Moms!

Mother's Day is right around the corner.
I know,  Easter first right?
BUT... Easter is coming late this year, which means
we can all take a minute right now to plan ahead on just how
we can make Mom's Day extra special this year!

I love my mom... shout out to Punkie :)!  She is so precious!
I plan on writing a blog in her honor on the actual day --                                      
there are so many great stories (beautiful and funny) to tell
about that woman...
OK... wasn't going to do this now, but here is just one...

When I was a senior in high school some of the guys in our 
class decided it would be funny to T.P. our house... 
I won't name names... or maybe I will (my hubby, Geoff, Scott, Jon, Rob etc.)
Anyway, as they were in the process, Mom came out of the house and instead
of yelling at them, she invited every single one of the villains in for some 
HOT CHOCOLATE!  Who does that????   Oh yeah,  Punkie does :)!!!


For now though, I have come across an AMAZING opportunity for all
of us to honor our Moms.

Let me back up for a minute...
Most of you know that Kevin and I have been involved with a ministry (She Has A Name) that longs to shed light on the darkness of human trafficking, both here and around the world.

The longer we have been a part of this, the more we learn ~
The more we learn, the darker this whole subject becomes.
The reality is TRAGIC!

As I was reading a book on this subject one night, I was
completely overwhelmed!  Kevin so gently reminded me of this
verse:
Rom. 12:21  Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Awesome verse... much needed truth.  Thanks Kev!


Ok... So what does this all have to do with our Moms???

I am about to tell you :)

There is a ministry that we have learned about and are partnering with through
She Has A Name that is really living out Rom. 12:21 ~ overcoming evil with good!

As Our Own is a beautiful example of this.  They are rescuing young girls (as young as
4 yrs. old) out of the brothels in India, and raising these sweet things (as their own) to become amazing young women of God!

These little girls are rescued out with the permission of their own mothers (who are enslaved in prostitution).  How loving and courageous it is for these moms to let their little ones go in the hopes that their daughters will have a chance at life outside of these horrendous conditions!

So...
Here's the deal...

As Our Own is giving us an opportunity to honor our own moms and also be a part of overcoming evil with good by helping these moms and daughters clear across the Globe!

What an incredible way to give a gift that isn't just temporary...
It will have eternal consequences!          

Join with me in following these simple 3 steps...

Here’s a special way to say, “Thanks, Mom!”
STEP 1 :: Give to our Thanks, Mom! campaign to honor your mom on Mother’s Day, May 8.

STEP 2 :: In the donation comments box, tell us what you appreciate most about your mom.

STEP 3 :: Download a certificate for your mom that explains the gift you’ve made in her name.


A note from and about  As Our Own

The extreme poverty in India places girls at great risk for exploitation, enslavement, and neglect. Girls are regularly abused and degraded, forced into lives of bonded labor, either in organized begging or the sex trade.

These girls will face a dark, horrific future—unless someone intervenes.

God has opened the door for As Our Own to rescue girls before they are exploited, giving us the privilege to care for each one as our own—for life. We are building strong communities through our Lighthouse church network and training strong leaders and pastors at our Hope College, all to break these cycles for girls in future generations.

Your gifts make a lasting difference for these girls. Thank you!


So... there you have it!
Let's do this together.
Along with those 3 steps...
Leave a comment here on my blog...
Let us know you are in... and also give a little shout out to your mom :)!

Comments

Amy said…
Karen, thankful for your blog and especially your LIFE that points me to Christ continually! I am excited to give to this in honor of my mom. These girls not only have the chance to be rescued from the brothels, but have the chance to learn of the poverty of their hearts and learn of the ONE who can make them whole & BLAMELESS! So thankful for this ministry! Also, thankful for Grandma Punkie who has adopted me "as her own" granddaughter!
Anonymous said…
I would love to have hot cocoa with your mom. She sounds really great. (I mean, really, with a name like Punkie, how couldn't she be anything BUT great!) I love this lighthearted post--it oozes joy. Thanks for introducing us to your mom!
Derek said…
Karen, if not for you I wouldn't have thought to do this. Thanks for setting the trend. I hope my mother is as honored by this as I am blessed to have her.

Popular posts from this blog

Homesick

The Touch Tree

His Grace is ENOUGH for me!