A Messy, Muddy Life

I had a dream.
Last night.
So real.
So memorable.
Need to write it down.
Some of the women from our church were hanging out.
Ready to take a hike in the woods.
It had just rained.
Inches and inches of rain.
A muddy mess.
I thought for sure we would cancel the hike.
Can you imagine walking in that?
But... as I looked in front of me.
My friends were taking off their shoes.
They were rolling up their pants.
Ready for the challenge.
Are you kidding me?
We're doing this?
We're really doing this?
Yep.
Let's go.
It's gonna get messy.
We are about to get dirty.
Real dirty.
There may be snakes and probably lots of bugs.
Mosquitos.
And I'm a magnet for mosquitos.
Dangit.
Ok.
Oh... and no men are with us.
Just us girls.
And there is a little laughter.
Some talk of grounding.
You know... going barefoot is good for you?
Well then.
Let's hike.
I woke up this morning and actually thought about going on a hike today.
It would be muddy.
The rain was heavy last night.
I could take off my shoes.
Reinact the dream.
Then I remembered.
In my dream?
We were not alone.
We were together.
I don't have to hike the woods, barefoot, alone.
This dream seems to be significant.
Right now... in my life.
In all of our lives.
We women... we are strong.
We can laugh at the days to come.
We can do this thing.
Together.
There is so much to be done.
Right here.
We were made for such a time as this.
Let's go.
Let's get dirty.
It will be hard and gross and scary.
Exactly what we were made for.
To love so deeply we are willing to roll up our jeans and enter in.
Together.
Thank you God for giving us this day.
Help us to see what it means to go for it.
In the little and big.
From the dirty diapers to taking care of elderly parents.
From our own backyards to the nations.
The mess makes life worth living.
And... God?
Thanks for the laughter along the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Touch Tree

You've Got This, Kid.

Homesick