God Provides Opportunities!

I know it has been awhile since I have posted on this blog, but I have had a pretty tough winter when it comes to my anxiety and depression.  One thing that has struck me through it all, is that when I look to God and really care about others... my anxiety diminishes.

I'm so thankful for the AMAZING sermons I have heard from  Louie Giglio http://www.passioncitychurch.com/watch/#20100131 and Ben Stuart http://breakawayministries.org/resources that spoke right to my anxiety.

God has also brought some dear friends into my life that come directly from me being open an honest about my struggles. I have  found out that there are so many others fighting the same thing!  It is a real joy for me to share the HOPE of Christ with them even in the midst of my weakness!

We rented The Blindside on Tues...  such a powerful movie!  One thing I realized while watching it was that the mom was not down at the homeless shelter looking for someone to invite to live with them.  God simply placed an opportunity in front of her... and she was available and willing to take a chance... BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Three years ago we had the same thing happen. God placed some homeless people in our lives and although we were scared... we took a chance.  Now, I have to say...  none of them became pro football players, but our lives will NEVER be the same.

Because of the movie, I began praying that God would provide another opportunity for us to serve Him in that way... and it didn't take long for Him to answer!  Amy got a call yesterday morning from an OSU Medical social worker.  Somehow Amy's name was down as a contact for one of  the homeless men that used to live with us.  He had been hit by a car and broke his leg.  They put him in ICU yesterday morning because of the meds he is for the alcohol withdrawal.  We went to see him last night.  He only weighs 110 lb.... is heavily sedated right now... looks pretty awful.  We sang his favorite hymn to him (Old Rugged Cross). We talked to the Dr. and nurse that are caring for him and gave them all the info. we knew.  He literally has no one but us!

We will go back down to see him tomorrow... he should be waking up by then.  Amy and Billy have some extra room at their house, so they will probably ask him to recover there.  We are praying that God will save Keith... believing that He has placed Keith in our lives for that very reason!

Please pray with us!
Keith is the one on the far right... with the coffee in his hand. 

Comments

Cindy said…
The greatest verse in the Bible is John 3:16 "For God SO LOVED the world that HE GAVE His only begotten SON - that whosoever believed in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." Praying for God to open Keith's eyes and heart, and for all of you as God uses you. There is no feeling like the one you get from being obedient to HIM. Love you guys!
gail said…
Karen I am sorry to hear of your anxiety and depression. Did you know that I suffer with mental illness and am pretty much housebound?

I have written my story of my journey with this illness. I feel we need to get rid of the stigma.... especially in Christian circles

We have been helping a homeless person one on one for about 6 months and have him to our home a lot. He loves watching Louie's DVDs with us. We visited here tonight. He calls me "mum" :)

Keep up the great work for His Name.
Karen Shock said…
Thanks for your encouraging words Cindy!! Going to visit Keith again today... keep praying!
Karen Shock said…
Gail! So good to hear from you :)!! Isn't it CRAZY how God uses us even in our weakest times? I see how many lives you touch through facebook... God can use us even when we are "homebound". So cool about your homeless guy. Our guys LOVED to watch Louie! Brian (one of the ones who lived with us) even got to meet Louie after the How Great is Our God concert. It was pretty neat because it was Louie's Grace Works dvd that inspired us to befriend the homeless in the first place.

Where can I read your story?

Popular posts from this blog

Homesick

The Touch Tree

His Grace is ENOUGH for me!