My Bad Boys

Remember the good old days?
The late 80's - early 90's.
The Bad Boys.
They were incredible.
Isiah Thomas was my favorite.
That smile?
So cute.
Dad and I watched them every night when I was pregnant with Alyssa.
The Detroit Pistons?
In my heart of hearts...
Could do no wrong.
Joe Duuuumars.
Vinnie (the microwave) Johnson.
Dennis Rodman - Mom's favorite.
She said he "ran like a deer down the court".
We loved our Bad Boys.
ALL OF THEM.
Yes.
Even Bill Laimbeer.
I'm not kidding.
In my eyes?
He could do no wrong.
I'm serious.
Stop laughing.
He was just what we needed.
He got the job done.
It may have been a dirty job.
Someone had to do it.
I knew he had haters.
Lots of them.
But he was good for us.
Good to us.
Somehow.
If there were flaws?
I could look over them.
For the sake of the team.
For the sake of the back to back championships.
I did not wear Bill Laimbeer's jersey.
Would never do that.
But I was a Piston.
Through and through.
Oh, and do you know who I couldn't stand????
Who was so evil in my eyes?
Yep.
Michael Jordan.
So overrated.
I know right?
Michael Jordan = Evil.
How dare he keep "my" Isiah off the Olympic dream team?
He was so mean.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago.
30 For 30.
The show on ESPN.
A special on my Bad Boys.
How fun.
I.watched.in.horror.
These older bad boys...
All talking about the glory days.
The fighting.
The "you do what ya gotta do to win" attitude.
The stories about Bill.
He was such a jerk.
They were all admitting it.
Even Bill was admitting it.
I looked at Kevin and said "He was such a jerk".
Kev laughed and said "ya think?".
"No... like I mean, a REAL JERK".
"Seriously Karen, you didn't know that?".
No! Nope! I couldn't see it.
And if I did see it, I excused it.
You know... for the good of our team.
Was I blind?
Who was I kidding?
It's just basketball though.
Right?
I mean, who cares?
Again... for the good of the team.
I "kinda" get it.
I'm just wondering if this plays out in other areas of my life.
Blind spots.
Looking past the lies... for the good of my team.
Oh Lord,
For today.
Open my eyes.
Help me to see what's really going on.
Break my heart for what breaks yours.
Bring Truth into the light.
Eyes on you.
The author and perfecter of my faith.
Jesus.
Lover of my soul.
Open my eyes.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Touch Tree

You've Got This, Kid.

Homesick